Sunday, May 29, 2011

So lately I have had a few things on my mind.

1. My younger brother has autism. People have been asking me how I handle it as a sibling. That made me think because I don't really see my life as being "abnormal". Apparently  it is. So I began to look over my life and the things that I have missed. Have I missed out on things because my brother has a disability? People can go out to eat with their families without having to monitor everything they eat so that they don't throw up or all go in one car to a neighborhood outing. We are rarely all together out in public. We always have to have an escape route. We always have to split up our family in order to unite it. Am I sorry that my brother is the way he is? Yes in part I am. I would never wish a disability or a disorder on someone or someone in their family. It is hard. REALLY HARD. Would I have my family any other way? No. I think that my brother came to us as a blessing in disguise. He makes our family the way it is. We are closely bonded because of him. I love him the way he is. It  has made me a better person and because of him I have been able to reach out to a population of people that I never would have taking such interest in before. My life is forever changed. I don't feel like I have missed out on life. I just experienced different things in life that other people don't. And how many people get a "GOOD MORNING!" from their 15 year old brother every morning you come up the stairs. Or when you cry he hugs you and rubs your back and says, "Oh, it is ok. There, there, there." I don't know what it is like to have a "normal" little brother. But he is normal to me. He is all I know and I am so glad he is my brother. I love him so much.





2. The other thing on my mind is that people need to speak up. If you have opinions let people hear them. If you don't people won't know what you think and your voice will go unnoticed. For example. You are in a meeting and people are taking sides on which ice cream to serve. Chocolate of Vanilla. You don't like Chocolate ice cream and so you would much rather have Vanilla. When they ask you what you think should be served you say you don't care because you aren't trying to cause trouble. WRONG. Tell them that you want Vanilla and defend your opinion. And it is only ice cream so don't get too crazy, but speak up. Now I know that this is a silly example but really... Speak up and let people know what it is on your mind and how you feel. You will feel better and chances are you will be asked for your opinions in the future.


3. Don't forget your past. I was in such a hurry to get out here when I left for college. I needed a change and wanted to know new people. I left everything and everyone I knew up here. I dived into my new life. Which is wonderful, and I had a blast. But now that I am back I realized how much fun I had here at home. I am so lucky to live where I live and know the people I know. Why couldn't I realize this when it was happening to me then? I had a great life here and so many great friends. I am so grateful for the experiences I had prior to going to college. And I wish I wouldn't have taken them for granted. 




No comments:

Post a Comment